A pan caught fire while students were cooking a meal, said Jop Heinen, a spokesman for the Rotterdam-Rijnmond Regional Security Partnership. A fire with a great deal of smoke ensued. The fire brigade arrived on the scene very quickly, as one of its fire stations happened to be nearby.

The fire was under control soon and did not spread beyond the third-floor flat. The fire brigade was able to ventilate the floor sufficiently. The three people who got injured were treated on the spot, then taken to hospital.

Most of the building’s residents are students, but it is not known whether the three people who got injured are students. The Security Partnership’s spokesman, Jop Heinen, was not able to tell us how severe the injured parties’ injuries were, either.

Put a lid on it

If a pan catches fire, put a lid on it, says Heinen, to deprive the fire of oxygen and so extinguish it. Do not try to extinguish the fire using water. “This may result in enormous shooting flames.”

And if you do have to leave your home, make sure you close the door behind you, which the residents of the building in Admiraliteitskade failed to do. Fire and smoke spread quickly when a door is left open, which may endanger your neighbours.

Fire safety check

Students can perform a fire safety check for their home on LSVb’s website. It focuses on questions such as, is the house equipped with smoke detectors, are there any fire extinguishers, does everyone empty the lint filter of the clothes dryer, and are the emergency exits kept clear?