About fifty to seventy students were forced out of their beds and had to evacuate their building early Wednesday morning due to a fire in their student residence complex located at the Essenburgsingel in Rotterdam-West. Two residents of the complex were sent to the hospital for observation after inhaling smoke.

A fire brigade spokesperson told broadcaster RTV Rijnmond that the fire was caused by a kitchen mishap when the contents of a pan caught fire at around 4.30 in the morning. With the whole building subsequently filling with smoke, it was decided to evacuate the residence.

Ninety minutes later, at around 06:00 a.m., students were allowed to return inside. Damage to the building is minimal.