The laboratories of Nijmegen Radboud University are the most prolific animal testers of all Dutch university-affiliated institutions. Nearly a quarter of all animal tests performed in the Netherlands are conducted in Nijmegen, according to figures presented to the Dutch Lower House by the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA).

Radboud University conducted 49,503 animal tests in 2014. Erasmus MC ranks a ‘respectable’ second, having performed 38,562 tests in 2014. A total of 233,000 animals were used at universities and academic medical centres.

Over a quarter of all animal tests are conducted for basic scientific research purposes. Another quarter are performed for legally required safety tests, while a third are carried out in the name of application-oriented research. Ten percent of the animals used are purpose-bred animals which end up not being used, and 3 percent are used for educational purposes.

Mice, rats, chickens and quail

Researchers mainly use mice (49 percent) and rats (18 percent) in their tests. Chickens, quail, etc., make up another 15 percent, with fish making up another 6 percent.

According to NVWA, 87 percent of all test animals either die due to the effects of the tests to which they are subjected or are killed afterwards. The remaining 13 percent live.